Thursday, June 30, 2011

Back to Work

Today was my first day at my new job: I am chief of staff for Tamar Galatzan, School Board Member. I am thrilled to be working for her. She is smart, a clear-thinker, wants to do good, and cares. She is also tall and strong, an Amazon like me. She is cool. You can read more about her on her web site.

The job came about through a series of coincidences so bizarre that though I never intended to go down this road, I swear I felt I was being sent a sign from God. I care deeply about the issues, the pay is good, Tamar is awesome, and this is a chance to learn about LAUSD from the inside out. Oh, the access! It is a journalist's dream! I am, officially, classified. On a completely classified floor, in fact. Security feels tighter than the Pentagon. I kid you not.

It is a chance to effect change, in a completely different way than as a journalist. But I will use many of the same skills, too--writing, investigating, asking questions, getting out in the field and finding out what is really going on, then fighting for that cause, through writing, attention, diligence, truth-telling.

My heart is a little twisted, and lurches here and there. I am excited about the job, thrilled in fact, but also emotional about leaving my boys for so much of the time. What will it be like? How will my heart handle it? I have been such a full time mother. Withdrawal symptoms will be severe. And though I wish it were not so, I happen to believe the greatest kids do have someone who loves them in an extraordinary way around most of the time.

I am also, for the moment, suspending my dream of starting my community paper. This caused me so much distress I took to bed for a week. But I have vowed to myself that I will keep forging ahead with my dream, and try to launch more slowly on line this fall, with no ads, build a reputation, and then be ready in the future to take it out in print. I have a logo, dear readers, and soon I will post it here. Remind me of this dream, devoted readers, fellow writers, all lovers of stories and news. Because beyond this immediate job, I feel starting this community paper is something I am meant to do in this life. I just need to help our family achieve a little financial stability in these tumultuous times. And to have a little money socked away for me to put up those initial investment costs without panicking. You know what I mean. I know you do. But I beg of you, hold me to my promise.

I will try to write still, yes I will, indeed writing here may be even more important than it has been. But perhaps this blog was a record of my time at home, my time with my boys, a journal of the quiet moments of motherhood that are not glorified by society, but are so beautiful they can make your heart ache. It was a record of both the joy and the loneliness of making the choice to be a stay at home mother in a society that does not value motherhood.

Or perhaps this blog will be a place to record what it is like to go BACK to work, after being off.

I am not sure yet.

I do not know.

But I will keep you posted.

Right here.

Promise.

8 comments:

jecca said...

You did it! Well done. We will hear more from you soon. xxx

Lani said...

Congratulations! Sounds like a stimulating challenge. Did you do Grand Canyon with Athena?

Squid Pictures said...

Oh Such Exciting News!!

Ilaria said...

thank you all for good wishes! oh, lani, i have SO much to tell you and owe you a phone call/facebook/email rundown. I DID do Grand Canyon with Athena and it was one of the most amazing experiences of my life. All thanks to you--and most definitely in the spirit of Natalie. Story filed...

K.D. said...

Hi Ilaria. I don't know you but I stumbled across your blog and I like your writing. Congratulations to you. Since I don't know you and your blog is personal, I just thought I'd ask if you mind if I follow your blog. If you do, I'll stop following.
I particularly liked your gratitude journals post, and I was reminded of it today as I was filled with gratitude watching my young son and husband run down a trail ahead of me.
K.D.

Ilaria said...

hi k.d.--i would be THRILLED if you follow my blog. very personal, yes, but for all mothers and lovers of children and passionate writers and people trying to live life to the fullest. i would love to follow your blog, too. i like your profile. please come again soon!

h

K.D. said...

Thanks Ilaria. You are most welcome to follow my blog, http://olddogblog.blogspot.com/
(I also have one called clutterbuster which is a diary of my efforts to clean up my home, and about as exciting as that sounds.)
Enjoy the long weekend.
K.D.

K.D. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.