Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Alcatraz Update

I DID finish the Naples Island Swim, winding through the canals of Long Beach. The day was cloudy, the water murky, but the experience divine. We swam under bridges like in Venice, and people in bathrobes drinking coffee cheered us from their private docks. When I flipped over to do backstroke in the canals because I was so exhausted, I could smell bacon in the air. It was as long as Alcatraz (one and a quarter miles) I got second in my age group, I swam with two super cool women from the Y, and the wonderful Lisa Callamaro came out to cheer me on.

I may be slightly sick from breathing the toxic fumes and swallowing the dirty water, but it was worth it. I wore my medal around my neck all day long -- to the park to play baseball, over my apron as I cooked dinner. Benji wore one of his old medals, too. It all felt very Olympian.

Training continues...

No comments: