Saturday, August 15, 2009

Training???

Less than a month til Alcatraz and my training has been pathetic. Yes, I swam the Coronado Rough Water Swim in 55 degree water with my aunt's wetsuit--and felt pretty empowered by that. But then I got a scary freckle removed from my toe, pulling me out of the water for 10 days, swam a few times, and then we were off to Stinson for vacation for two weeks. I did hike and run and play outside all day long from morning til night--but I did not swim much. (Although the trip did MUCH to acclimate me to cold water...I was in every day, until the Great White Shark sighting shut down the beach...more on that later)

So now I really need to buckle down, or I will be in BIG trouble with the cold, the currents and the crowds.

Tomorrow I will do the Naples Island Swim. It is a one mile swim in Long Beach, supposedly out to an island, down some canals and back. Cool! Supposedly the island really is like an island in the Mediterranean, or designed to be that way. Jonathan is worried about the pollution. I am worried I am just sluggish and weak. At least the water will be warm!!!!

So to lower expectations tonight I drank half a bottle of champagne. Bad, bad Hilary.

Wish me luck tomorrow.

I hope I will return to tell the tale...

2 comments:

SQUIDLY said...

Is there somewhere to cheer you on!!?? Steve and I kayake around Naples (and I will wave if I see you crossing the bridges to get to Trader Joe's. Let me know! xoxo

Unknown said...

HELLO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just looked at an old blog of Paiges and there you were! Is is amazing that you are doing the Alcatraz swim. It must be so soon. Will you call me and tell me how it was? xoxox chris