Sunday, April 11, 2010

Bird Poop

On Saturday morning when we returned to the mainland, we headed straight for Joannafina's, one of my favorite Mexican restaurants from my days in Ventura. We used to go there post surf on Sundays and eat chips, the macho man burrito, a beer, and listen to the Mexican trio. I went with Chris and Michelle--no longer a couple--who saved my life and my soul in that lonely city.

So we went into Joannafina's and had a beer, and chips, and a burrito, and sat in the sunshine in the adorable little back garden. We were sitting there when a little bird came down, and landed on a tree. It landed right over us, it wiggled its little bird butt over on the branch, until it was right over Jonathan, then it pooped on him.

"Omigosh!" I said. "I think that bird just got you."

But Jonathan couldn't feel anything, so I thought maybe I was wrong.

Then Benji spotted it. A big white and green stain running down the shoulder of Jonathan's super high end Goretex jacket. The boys started laughing so hard they couldn't stop. I had tears running down my cheeks. Jonathan just calmly wiped it off and said it was good luck. He knew it. I just said, "It definitely means something!"

The next day we went downtown. On the way back we stopped in MacArthur Park, that glorious place, and went for a walk in what was once one of LA's grandest parks. It still is--even if only immigrants and ducks use it now. We were walking around the big pool when I felt wetness on my head.

A bird had pooped on my head. I didn't even have a napkin on hand to wipe out the shit. Jonathan on Saturday, me on Sunday!

What did it mean?

We tell ourselves it must mean something good!

At the very least it is a most uncanny, and unfortunate, coincidence.

It sure did make our boys laugh.

1 comment:

jecca said...

Mmmm, I remember the little garden with beer and burritos. Yum.