Friday, April 2, 2010

A Moment of Grace

I have a niece here in Los Angeles. She is adorable, like a big kewpie doll, but we barely see her, for a number of reasons I confess I do not fully grasp. It makes me sad.

Last weekend we saw her for breakfast. Her mother placed her in my arms. She is nearly two. She has seen me about eight times since birth. Usually in public places or large family gatherings. I would not call it intimate. I don't know that she even knows who I am. Memories are short at that age.

But that Sunday, her mama placed her with me, and she snuggled right in. She held me tight and wouldn't let go. I don't think she knew it was me. I was mystified.

But it was delicious. She is still that age when they fit perfectly on your body like a little koala. She is soft and squeezable, a feeling that disappears as they walk, then run, and their bodies turn harder, more muscular. My boys are cuddly, so cuddly, but this was different.

She clung to me as we walked in, sat down, ordered breakfast. She just sat and burrowed and nestled. She didn't talk or play or try to go to sleep. She just cuddled, and turned away from the table--seemingly as happy to be cuddling on me as I was to hold her.

Later I tried to figure out what happened. Why me? Why then? Does she really know me? Recognize me? Love me?

But then, I thought, it doesn't matter. When a baby loves you, you just accept that faith, that love, and savor it. There is nothing larger. It is just a perfect moment. And I got one.

It was sweet.

3 comments:

jecca said...

Children are like animals - they trust on instinct. Remember how my girls have loved you when they were barely able to remember? It's a gift not many of us share - enjoy it.

Ilaria said...

o you are sweet! it is the feeling i got this past summer when i got to hold oriana for a five minute stretch. it is just the sweetest feeling. and you realize how fast it passes with your own children. it is just there--then gone.

jecca said...

Five minutes is a long time in one place for Oriana - you were honoured! She's very cuddly, but not exactly a peaceful experience.... and when we are woken by the declaration I WANT A TUDDLE the rest of the night is like welcoming a bag of cats under the duvet.

How sad though that you don't see your local niece. Ruth is now old enough to fly unaccompanied... the summer's coming up... brace yourself!