Friday, August 29, 2008

I'm An Obama Mama!

Last night we watched Barack Obama give his speech at the Democratic National Convention. It made me so emotional I felt like an African American grandmother in a black baptist church. Every word he said, every pronouncement he made, Jonathan and I were shouting out from our sofa, "That's right!" "That is so true!" "Finally someone is saying it!"
I felt relief, inspiration, love, hope.
I made our boys watch it. Theo built trains, and Benji put his head in front of the screen to try to get attention, but still, we made them watch something historic. When they are journalists, or writers, or playwrights, or activists, or just Dads in the future, they will be able to say, my parents made me watch Barack Obama's speech at the National Convention in 2008!
If McCain wins this election it will mean that Americans really are stupid. It will mean that appeals to racism, hatred and petty issues win out over people's true self interest, and the interest of our country. It will mean that fear wins out over hope. Because the Bush administration, and the McCain administration to follow, promise to reward the richest of the rich, and screw everyone else. If the 99.9% of Americans who are NOT the richest of the rich cannot see that because they are so scared of a black man, or so blinded by a single issue like abortion, or fear of gay marriage, then we really will get the government we deserve. I pray this does not happen. O God, I pray.
I want to do something to take back this country. And I want to do more than give more money. I would rather give money to the homeless person on the corner, or to a kids program or a school or a library. But I would like to help win the election. Should we go to Arizona -- me, Jonathan, Theo and Benji --or some other swing state and pound the pavement before election day? I need to know I did everything in my power to help Obama win. Otherwise I will not be able to live with myself.

1 comment:

Jen said...

hi! can't find your proper email so am writing here. i think marc's old girlfriend's twins will be in theo's class at larchmont charter/west hollywood. her name is Mary Jane Buckley and her husband's name is Jeff Ruggles. They're really nice. hope to see you soon! xo