Wednesday, September 3, 2008

First Day of School at Larchmont Charter West

Today we took Theo to his first day of kindergarten. I swore I wouldn't get emotional. I think he has been ready to go to school for a year. But as we drove him to school, and I walked him past the principal, upstairs, watched him put his tote bag in his new cubby, and walk in and pick his name out of the pile and put it in the "present" column, then walk off to his little table by himself my eyes welled up with tears. I am proud of him, that he is so ready, and he is jumping in. And I am proud of us, that in nine months we did the impossible: we started a new school! It is filled with an amazing principal, an amazing vision, a kick-ass kindergarten teacher, children of every nationality and social class (his table: Theo, Omeed, Ondine and Sasha) and the most super-mod mini furniture I have ever seen. It is a new era.

No comments: