Wednesday, March 25, 2009

A Different Day at Whole Foods

Lately I have been avoiding Whole Foods. Despite my commitment to eating well, to locally grown produce, to supporting ethical agricultural cooperatives and such, I, like everyone else have felt the financial pinch. I have been shopping at Trader Joe's, at Costco, at the farmer's market, and, when forced to, at Ralph's.

But today I needed high quality and slightly unusual ingredients for some scones I plan to make, so I dashed into Whole Foods and broke my frugal shopping vows.

I was shocked.

The place was empty.

This is the Whole Foods at Fairfax and Santa Monica. Parking there is such a nightmare they have multiple parking guys helping angry drivers in and out. The salad bar is always packed with healthy yoginis and beautiful people from West Hollywood.

Not anymore.

I cruised the long empty aisles, and had my pick of check out lines. (Usually it is a riot scene.) A six year old could push a full cart down an aisle of precariously balanced tomato cans and not hit a soul.

I quizzed the check out lady. She said this is pretty much how it is now. Some days get the crazy crush of the good old days. But mostly, when push comes to shove, people cut out the expensive groceries.

Which is OK. Because as Michael Pollan pointed out, organic food and whole foods are such a business now it is hard to call them anything different from conventional large scale farm operations.

Still.

No comments: