Thursday, July 2, 2009

Coronado Open Water Swim

Saturday morning (the fourth of July) I will dive into the waves with hundreds of other swimmers, a number scrawled on my arm, a red bathing cap on my head, and swim around three buoys and back to shore. The swim is one mile long and I will do it with my super cool Aunt Judy, co-creator of the Iron Man Triathlon.

I am out of shape and feeling fat. But I must swim, and prepare for Alcatraz. Next week I will have a dangerous freckle removed from my toe, and be forced to stay out of the water for 10 days. So this swim is key in building my confidence, fitness and sense of challenge.

And so today, I run down to the Y to make sure I really, truly, can swim a mile in the warm, indoor,1920s pool (I did Tuesday). If I can, I figure I can get through kicking competitors, big waves, cold water and maybe some fog.

Here goes...

1 comment:

SharkBait said...

I was in this event with you! It was CCCCOLD! I think the coldest ever...good practice for Alcatraz, which by the way, I'm also swimming with you on August 15th! If you'd like to contact me prior, please feel free. Keep on swimmin'
Marta