Friday, July 17, 2009

yahrzeit

This is an important day. This is the day I set out for Larkspur last year to see Natalie. I was supposed to go up to San Francisco for the Blogher conference, and to see Natalie, but I didn't sign up for the conference in time, but had already gotten Jonathan to agree to some childcare, so I went to see Natalie anyway. It ended up being Natalie's last weekend on earth--and I was there out of a quirk of fate--and it also propelled me to start a blog, since I wasn't going to actually go to the Blogher conference.

So this is, really, the anniversary of my blog, and of Natalie's death.

Very important.

So I wonder, is my subconscious going to rear its head? Am I going to be tossed and turned by emotions deep inside me at the cellular level?

I don't know.

But I am seeking ways to commemorate Monday, the day of her death. And Jonathan suggested Yahrzeit, the Jewish tradition. So I will do that. I will light that candle for 24 hours, and think of her and all she was.

I have decided I will also do a few other things.

Today I bought some Tibetan prayer flags on impulse. They are more Marin County than Whitley Heights, but who cares? I will string them up in the garden. I will plant some nasturtiums and marigolds--because she loved them both. And I will try to get her memorial mix from her sister to play on Monday all day.

Finally, I will do a little yoga, dance a little, and do a little meditation. Perhaps I will make a vow to compost in her honor. I don't know. She would like it. But am I up to it?

If any of you have any ideas, let me know. I am grasping for rituals...

4 comments:

SQUIDLY said...

It seems every single one of those is a beautiful honor for her. How amazing for you to be carrying her spirit forward and sharing her with the rest of us. And how amazing she must have been to create in you the urgency to do so....

I think you've got the bases covered: fire (candle), earth (planting marigolds), wind (prayer flags). Maybe the only thing left is to incorporate some water. Perhaps make a little paper boat with a note to her and send it off down a river. Isn't there something similar in the Chinese tradition?

My thoughts are with you on this day of rememberance.

xoxoLisa

Lani said...

Aren't you going to spend some time naked? You know, that really was one of her favorite things to do! We'll light a candle here too and everyday, I try to walk a little taller - shoulders back tailbone tucked. And I breathe...because Natalie still tells me to.

Much love to you and thanks for sharing the end with us when it happened.

Ilaria said...

dear squidly,

i love the paper boat idea. i LOVE it. thank you so much. and for your love and support. truly. xo

Ilaria said...

o lani, yours made me laugh. i will definitely walk tall and spend some time naked. last night i brought the candle into bedroom and jonathan scowled and i said, what, you still hate when i bring nat into bed with us? she was such a snuggler...