Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Back in L.A.

We were in Stonington Connecticut for 5 days visiting my parents and seeing my brother, his wife and his two beautiful, brilliant, pink girls (my nieces!). The air was clean, sweet and smelled like the Long Island Sound, like summer grass, like fish and tides and ocean.

What a rude awakening to return to my city. The skies are gray, the sun obscured by ash. A snow of ash is on the cars in the morning, and the air is thick, heavy, hot. At midnight it is still 75 degrees. The sun is blood red and apocalytpic. A day back in the city and my lungs are seizing. I am not made for fires.

2 comments:

Lani said...

Come south to SD! It's not smoky here...yet.

jecca said...

We miss you! Eleven crabs tonight in our five-minutes-before-bed [really!] hunt. Off to celebrate our nine years in a few minutes... leaving grandparents in charge!!! So sorry about the fires.