Thursday, September 24, 2009

The Power of Story

I am one of those people who believe in the power of story. I believe stories are the most human of endeavors, and what feeds our souls. I live for stories. To find them. To be in them. To read them and hear them and celebrate them and learn from them. I fell in love with my husband because he told stories better than anyone I had ever met. I could give him a topic - any topic - and he would produce a great story.

Still, when I watch a story take hold of someone else I am always in awe.

Two nights ago our friend John Orloff came for dinner. After we ate he regaled us with tales of his upcoming movie--The Owls of Kahool. (I am sure I am spelling it wrong). It is a tale of talking owls and orphan owls and lost legends and good guys and bad guys. It is based on some young adult series of books of which there are 14. He is a consummate storyteller and a fantastic writer. But as he sat there in the twilight and told the tale of the owls (and Theo already has a strong owl connection in his spiritual life) the boys sat spellbound. They couldn't move. They sat there. Totally silent. Utterly enthralled. When he paused they threw out more questions and more and more and more. It was magic. It was the power of story.

When John got up to go to the bathroom for a minute the boys turned to us: When is the movie coming out? Why can't we see it now? I want to hear more!!!

It was the world's oldest entertainment. I could just imagine us all sitting around a bonfire in the woods in the Middle Ages. The effect would have been the same. Now they are hooked. Just like me and their Dad. Can anyone resist a great story?

2 comments:

Paige Orloff said...

Awww. Can't wait to share this with Johno. It's "Guardians of Ga'hoole", fyi. Kisses to all you surfer owls.

Ilaria said...

o i am so glad you saw this. i wanted to call and tell you but life accelerated. you should have seen them. and the next day it is all they talked about. so great to see you for one glorious morning. you are happy. which makes me happy!