Thursday, December 3, 2009

Natalia post post post script

I have written an essay about my friend Natalia which I hope will appear somewhere soon--for real. Not just on my secret blog. It is about Natalia, the last trip I took with her, but also the tensions between my dear friend and my beloved husband--and what it was all like in those final months. I hope to offer a referral here to a national magazine when it appears. Cross your fingers.

But yesterday I realized I will have to change my ending.

We were sitting at TRAILS, Jonathan and I, munching on our organic baked products cooked with love and sipping our fair trade coffee, and I said, "Natalie would have loved this place. She would have opened this place. I miss her."

And then my husband startled me.

He said, "You know, I dream about her. I dream about her a couple of times a week."

What is she doing there? I asked. Is it a good feeling or a bad one? (I prayed their tensions were not carrying on in the sweet hereafter)

"Sometimes she is just standing around, in the room," he said. "Other times she is giving me something good--offering me a massage, or helping me with a yoga pose."

I guess healing can continue after death.

It fascinates me.

Has anything like that ever happened to you? A relationship actually evolving after death?

1 comment:

Lani said...

I wrote an essay about how Facebook has created an unusual way for us to remember those who have passed. Will look forward to yours. We miss her every day.