Sunday, November 30, 2008

An Etiquette Question

Someone you love opens the door looking different. Is it the hair? The makeup? The get-up?
Minutes tick by and you are stuck. What is it?
You say, you look good, what's different?
Oh, Nothing. I've gained weight. I've lost weight. I cut my hair. I painted my eyebrowd differently. It's a different color. No. No. No. But it helps you define what is different. Something around the eyes. Yes.
Denial. Complete denial.
But then you get it. She's been cut and stitched and re-shaped. She is looking constantly surprised, and very very interested in what you are saying. All the time. Now you know, but she denies. What do you say? What do you say?

4 comments:

Paige Orloff said...

You say nothing, I fear. I cannot believe you've been blogging all this time and didn't tell me. Now I have months and months of posts to catch up on..where's the novel synopsis, please? And poor Ian--that sucks. Oh, Ilaria, I can't believe you didn't share this!!!!! And I am still blogging, I promise--you know it moved, right: paigeorloff.com/blog

Ilaria said...

i check your blog like an addiction! i swear to you! i have missed it so much. but now i understand :-)i am so proud of you and all you have been doing!!! you ARE a writer!!!

Vanessa said...

Girllll, I need to check your blog more often.

Say nothing. When I see you at school I will tell you a rather funny story about accidentally ferreting out a plastic surgery family. Yeah, needless to say when they copped to it, I was speechless. The silence went on and on and on....

mitch said...

omigosh this is so funny