Sunday, November 30, 2008

NOVEL COMPLETED!

I did it! And now I am back!
I wrote a novel in a month and though I haven't had the courage to read through it yet, it does feel like a mighty accomplishment. I am now a member of a secret society of speed novelists. We meet next Saturday at the Grove for drinks, pages of novel in hand--if we dare to read them.
But here is what it taught me above all else: even when you think you have no time, you can still write a novel. You can write in the morning, you can write in the evening. You can write instead of watching television and you can write instead of going on social outings you didn't really want to go on anyway. If you concentrate, and put your mind to it, you can do it. Tomorrow I will post my jacket blurb, or novel summary. But for today I will just excerpt from my Winner Certificate:

Through storm and sun, you traversed the noveling seas. Pitted against a merciless deadline and battling hordes of distractions, you persevered. Your dedication to the high-velocity literary arts is remarkable. Your victory shall be recorded for all time in the annals of the Office of Letters and Light, where it will serve as a beacon to writers hoping to someday follow your triumphant path. You did it, novelist. We couldn't be prouder!

2 comments:

Juliette Dominguez said...

Hey Hilary, thanks for your kind comments about my blog -- and good luck with your book. Have you joined a critique group yet? Mine has been awesome with their feedback, support and help...

Ilaria said...

well hello!!! i have not joined a critique group. i need to. my friends are all journalists and i need to seek out some fiction people to help me break out of my conservative journalistic forms. but alas THIS novel is ready for no eyes yet. tonight i go to the post NANOWRIMO part in l.a.. perhaps i will find a group there...thank you for the advice!