Thursday, November 6, 2008

Stories

The other night, before bed, Theo spilled his guts. He has trouble admitting when something bothers him. It can take days, or weeks to get it out. He just tries to take care of it all himself. He said he was frustrated. He said at school he sits with four boys and they play a story game. One boy is the judge (self-appointed.) He calls on the others to tell stories and scores them with points. But Theo said Lucas (the self-appointed judge) never calls on him. He was devastated. But he had a plan.
Mommy, I will make a book. You can help me. I will give it to Jennifer (his teacher) and she will read it to the class, and then they will have to listen. I said, you could do that. Or, you could say, I have a really good story. And then you could say something really interesting. He said he tried that, and no one would listen. Then, I said, you could just walk away. But he didn't want to do that. He really really wanted their attention.
So I said he could practice telling stories with me, so that he would get really really good. He told me a really bad story with not plot and a lot of pee (boy humor). I said no, no, no. You have so many stories. I told him a few stories about himself that made him laugh so hard he was bouncing up and down on the bed with delight. He couldn't believe they were true, and they were his. I even told him about the time he vomited on an older boy when he was a baby and made the boy run screaming from the room. (catering to his audience). But my heart hurt a little. I don't want him to try to hard to fit in. I don't want him to want their judgement so badly, even though they have no reason to be judges. I don't want him to be so desperate for approval. It hurts me to think of my brilliant boy, sitting at the table, desperately trying to be heard, and not getting called on by a self-appointed Simon Cowell of a peer. But can I help?
Jonathan--harsh man--says he has to learn. Boys are cruel. I want to help. Does life have to be that cruel? I want to protect him.
I brought it up during the teacher conference. The teacher had no idea, but was concerned because if Theo is distracted or upset, he won't focus as much on his schoolwork.
I said I couldn't believe it. Theo is the son of two storytellers, he loves stories and values them. This was such a bad way to go down. We were running tutorials with him and working on his storytelling ability.
The teacher suggested we come in and talk to the kids about how to tell a story. So we are going to. I can't wait. I was thinking about what they will be able to digest. Beginning Middle End. (yes) Plot. (maybe) Characters (yes) Fiction vs. Non-fiction (yes)
Climax (I think so) Conflict (I hope so).
I hope Theo learns to value his own stories. But most of all, I am glad something good will come out of this. And I hope my boy's heart will be preserved for a little bit longer.

No comments: