Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Is the Original Screenplay Dead?

Every couple of Tuesdays my husband goes out drinking with his strike team from the writer's strike. They drink and talk about the bonds they forged walking on circles on the line. But the truth is, he learned a lot, there. He met mentors, heard career stories, lost weight, and socialized a lot, which most writers crave.

Last night he came home with a revelation. The original screenplay is dead. I wanted to argue, to disagree. But he challenged me, and himself. We thought about the Oscars. The only original screenplay up for the best screenplay award was Wall-E, and it didn't win. Every thing else was based on a short story, a book, or a documentary that was based on a life (the winner: Milk). Same with the nominees for best film. They were all based on something already famous. A short story, a cult novel, a best-selling book.

I know it is because the studios are increasingly risk-averse and need to know, before they commit a dime to anything, that they can back up their decisions with percentages and reasons for success like insurance agents (I swear, this writer got an Oscar nomination in the past, yes, this is a short story by F. Scott Fitzgerald, one of the greatest writers of all time, o yes, this book sold millions and millions of copies there is a huge fan base out there).

But still, it made me sad. There are so many great stories. And there are so many stories that are great on film. Not in books. Different stories really do suit different mediums.

I love stories. I live for stories. I love newspaper stories, novels, biographies, fairy tales, and yes, even movies based on books I already love. But the death of anything that is creativity in its purest form makes me want to weep.

But then I think: We can still tell stories. We can tell any stories we want, any way we want. They just may not be picked up by the big studios.

4 comments:

SQUIDLY said...

As I understand it, actually, it is scarier and more expensive for the studios to embark on an adaptation. And they actually get less "insurance" as to what they will get. With a finished screenplay (not a pitch), there it is...they know what they have immediately. That's why they often go through so many writers on an adaptation and which is why now (as the business of the business worsens) they want to know if you come in with a book, "who is the writer, what is their take". Historically, as I understand it, however, more movies have always done better at the Oscars (and I think are even produced in general) that were based off pre-existing material. Can't explain why that stat... just what I was told my one of those folks who tracks that sort of thing.

Ilaria said...

you are so wise. i am going to have to make jonathan read my blog so he can read this. its not the feedback he and his writer friends are getting. not about specs...
ANd how was your meeting with ann? do tell.

SQUIDLY said...

Well, the spec market is dead for sure. But, I think it all really comes down to name brands these days. Mamet specs.... fine. I spec....good luck. In general, I just don't think they are buying anything but genre, name brands (stephen king's the...) or Iron Man 3/4/5/ and star driven stuff. Spec a man-boy hard R comedy for Seth Rogan and that might work. oh yikes. I'm cynical today!!! sorry. my bad.

SQUIDLY said...

Oh and Ann and I are going to meet tomorrow now. Yay! She's coming by the loft to have a drink and watch the sunset before we head off for, um, probably more drink. xoxo