Thursday, February 26, 2009

OK, This Would Probably Be Better as a Journal Entry...

But what the hell?

One unpleasant thing I have realized about myself is that I circle the thing I love, but I will not dive in. I get very, very close. But then I don't go all the way.

And I don't mean just for a minute, or an hour, or a week, or a month. I mean for years, and maybe even decades.

So one thing I have suffered from for years is a fear of diving into the writing I love the most. Not surprising. A rejection of them is a rejection of my real loves, my passion, myself. It is just a lot more scary.

I became a journalist to make myself write. And it did. And I loved it. But I did it for so long I almost forget along the way what it was that I really, really wanted to write.

That is my mama book. And I am trying. I have been rejected by two agents (not the worst record ever) and I am stalled out. I am thinking. But I can tell I am avoiding it. I tell myself I am reframing. Musing. Pondering. Figuring It Out. But really, I am just not doing anything.

So this Sunday, rather than bringing my novel memoir to my writing group, I will bring the first chapter of my book and read it aloud to my fellow writers. I am scared. I am nervous. I will be opening myself up to so much. But I am daring myself to jump in. To circle no longer. To do the thing it is I want to do.

Hold me to it!

3 comments:

SQUIDLY said...

say go and I make some calls...

Ilaria said...

have you thought about being a life coach? and i am not kidding!

SQUIDLY said...

I'm so much better at helping others achieve their full potential! Myself...not so much.

I repeat.... they are just a few more eyeballs, not edicts on your dream or desires, and I'm happy to help get them for you. As they used to say in the New Jersey Lottery...you gotta be in it to win it!

Much love and much courage for Sunday.