Thursday, January 21, 2010

It's a Family Affair

Last year I swam the Alcatraz Swim with the South End Rowing Club with my amazing Aunt Judy and my cousin-in-law, Mike. It was one of the highlights of my year, and I think it drove my father nearly mad--just knowing there was a crazy athletic event involving family and danger that he did not take part in.

So this year he begged us all to do it again. He would train, he promised. And we need this promise from him, because he is probably the weakest swimmer of us all, chills easily, and will not give up, even when he should--an endearing, if perhaps life threatening quality.

This year I want a different challenge. But then, I thought, my father turns 70 this August. He really really wants to do this before he dies, and he wants to do it with the whole family. And now, it looks like it might be the whole family. My aunt will do it again. My cousin may do it. Two other cousins may do it. And one cousin's husband may do it.

Two days ago a dude from Seattle contacted me on Facebook about my story, saying his Seattle club wants to swim. I told him my whole family might do it. "Doesn't sound that hard, then, if your whole family is going to do it?"

Do you know my family? I wanted to shout through cyberspace. My aunt is the co-founder of the Ironman. My cousin went to the Olympic tryouts in butterfly. My cousin who swam last year is an astounding year round surfer whose son does big-wave tow in surfing in Asia. My brother swam all through high school and even after years of not swimming can jump in the water and swim a mile no problem. My father? Well--we are going to have to take care of him. But my family? We are astounding!

Today I will sign up. Alcatraz 2010. Will it be with a wetsuit? Or skin, as they say at the South Bay Rowing Club?

Hmmmmm

3 comments:

jecca said...

I told you I'd sort things out at this end! x

Ilaria said...

...you DID! and once he is signed up...well, it is hard to back out :-)

jecca said...

You'll have to send him your training programme - when I read your blog to him last time round he leapt in the pool with frustration that you could be so fast! x