Wednesday, September 15, 2010

On Friends

Some people make me feel good every time I see them. They are just good spirits. I feel uplifted, and better after an interaction. It is not that they are always chipper, or upbeat. Often they are people with a streak of sadness in them.

Other people always leave me with an aftertaste a little bad. I want to like them. I cannot analyze WHY they do not make me feel good, why I walk away feeling a little down, or off. It is just true.

Because I am me, I always spend too much time trying to figure it out.

Some of it is just how people are--are they present? do they listen? do they have some larger ulterior motive for being your friend (or not) and I am feeling that in a given moment?

Some of it may be deep rooted compatibility.

But more and more I find myself sorting on some deep level: who will come through? who will not? who would stand by me? who would not? who is genuine? who is not?

I am trying to let that deep intuition guide more of who I spend my time with. I am trying to not overlook the quiet, steady, loyal people who make my life rich.

How about you?

2 comments:

Paige Orloff said...

I wish your intuition was keeping you home on Friday!!! I am so sad to miss you...but I'll be back :-)

Ilaria said...

ha! i saw you and you made me feel good! like you always do.