Thursday, October 28, 2010

Oh Glory Be!



Last week, stuffed into my son's communication folder, among the flotsam and jetsam of school life, was a paper advertising organic produce. Organized by SEE LA (Which I had never heard of) I could go on-line, set up an account, order organic veggies, and pick them up with my child every Wednesday in a green, recyclable bag. I am such a procrastinator, a-great-idea-I-will-do-it-later-for-sure, kinduva gal, but I was intrigued, so I set up my Paypal account and ordered. The next day, when I went to pick up my children (mentally brainstorming about what I was going to cook for dinner as I walked into school) Marguerita Mees, our glorious school chef, Edible Schoolyard leader and cooking teacher ran up to me with a bag of veggies, an armful of spinach bursting out of the top.

I was delighted! Inside I found all of what is pictured here, plus green beans, brown mushrooms, and an onion, which we used last night to make stir fry. Everything is fresh, in season, and delicious. Inside the bag I also found a list of recipes and ideas to cut up and use the vegetables I had--a Moroccan spinach and chickpea stew, and a persimmon and pomegranate seed salad--for example.

The bounty was so beautiful they inspired my young artist, Theo, who laid them out on the table and began a still-life (aerial perspective), pictured here.



The thing is, they were so beautiful you DID want to paint them. But my favorite thing is that it was so effortless, so affordable, so in-season, and so full of surprises. It is like a treasure. I couldn't wait to peek inside. I don't even have to go to the farmer's market. Now it is coming to me.

You can also order per person, a bag full of enough vegetable and fruit servings to satisfy the USDA recommended amounts for a family of four. Brilliant!

Are we the only school to have this service so far? I don't know, but I am determined to get them some publicity.

In the meantime, I am grateful for the new combos, the push to get out of my normal veggie rut, and the clever delivery system.

Hey, all you mamas out there. If you could pick up your groceries when you picked up your kids, would you do it?

I am truly curious.

Leave you comments here!

3 comments:

jecca said...

At Ruth's new school they grow the veg and then sell them to the parents after school on Monday! or is it Friday? We'll find out.

Ilaria said...

wow. you are more edible than any edible schoolyard, and no alice waters necessary. but i guess americans have the worst diet on the planet, so not surprising. xo

jecca said...

No, not true. Just do a search on "turkey twizzlers". We have been lucky. Leamington Hastings had an on-site school cook (though Ruth only ever told me what she'd eaten if it was pizza and icecream, once Oriana started it was easier to see the variety... down the front of her dresses). The new school had no lunches at all when the new head started so she went out and sourced a supply of lunches, which are now all delivered from a local farm shop - brilliant!