Thursday, July 15, 2010

Prescription for Summer

Have fun!

Here is a note I have lifted from an email from my favorite massage therapist in L.A.. She is a Sikh (the L.A. kind, not the Indian kind) who I met at Golden Bridge way back, when I sought the strength of the Goddesses in bearing a child. The Sikhs in L.A. are a powerful force, and huge in the medical and healing community. Some are traditional M.D.'s, others do massage, acupuncture, chiropracting, and other more obscure forms of healing. What unifies them is an undeniable sense of mission in what they do.

Anyway, here is the latest advice:

Re you: There’s a very “natural” MD in Santa Monica (Dr. Jim Blechman) who says that the summer is all about enjoyment – eat whatever you want, stay up late, party and have fun! (as long as during the other 3 seasons you take really good care of yourself). I hope you’ve taken such good care of yourself that you can totally relax and ENJOY
these warm summer days.

It is our duty to savor the world in summer.

After summer camp drop-off I hiked for an hour in Griffith Park, exploring hidden canyons and watching woodpeckers. I felt the sun and smelled the pine needles, which for me for some reason is the smell of California summer. Then I spent a glorious, lazy, delicious hour reading "The Ten-Year Nap uninterrupted. Bliss.

What about you? What will you to enjoy yourself on this hot summer day?

No comments: