Saturday, April 25, 2009

Birthday Party Fantasies

For boy #2 a birthday takes on added significance. It is perhaps the only day in the whole year when it is only about him! Gifts only for him. People singing only for him. A cake, only for him.

So we have spent most of the last eight months--maybe the last twelve--since his last birthday--fantasizing continuously about what kind of birthday party he wants to have. All year he gathers string on what he wants. Each week he revises: "I think I want a jungle party." "No, I would like a pirate party." "I would like it at the park." "I would like it at home." "I want everyone to have a blindfold when they hit the pinata." "I want to have a bouncer shaped like a giraffe. Like a tiger. Like a car. Like spiderman."

I take it all in, store it away.

But now we are getting to crunch time. He must make a final decision.

Today he came down with a new idea.

"I want to have a Star Wars party," he said. Strange, from a boy who has never seen the movie in its entirety. This is what it is like to live in American Society in 2009. If you are three, you know every character in Star Wars and have a light saber (or light saver) of your own. But then he said this:

"I want to have Star Wars balloons. Shaped like hearts."

1 comment:

Lani said...

Hilarious! We are in the same boat. We are now having a Totoro/Star Wars/Bakugan party for Sullivan.