Wednesday, April 8, 2009

The Good Life

...so as we sat licking the crab and butter and salt off our hands my husband asked, "Do you think they are spoiling them? Do you think they realize how special this is? Do you think we are ruining them by showing them too much of the good life?"

NO, I practically shouted.

Because this is what I believe as a parent. I believe it our job to show our children every thing beautiful, delicious, wonderful and fabulous about the world that we can. Our job is to make them feel the magic, the wonder and the beauty of the world. That is our duty. That is part of what we pass on. It is what will give them strength when times are tough.

I do not believe that means they need to stay in five star hotels with sheets of Egyptian cotton, or that they should eat caviar and champagne at the finest restaurants in fits of conspicuous consumption. Although I do believe they should know those things are there, in case they want to shoot for them.

But I want them to know that even when they do not have money, they can appreciate the feel of a sea breeze, the scent of lemon blossoms in spring time, the wonder of seeing one thousand dolphins leaping out of the water right in front of you.

I believe that most of the best things in life are available to all--at least in this country -- if you know where to look.

We were not taking the boys to the finest restaurant and paying astronomical sums to have our children eat crab leg. No. We cooked our Costco special Alaskan crab at home and spent as much as a dinner out at In-n-Out for the whole feast. Throw in some cheap champagne for us, and it was like In-n-Out with large milkshakes all around.

But I want them to know that if they want lobster or crab, they can have it. It comes from the ocean, and the ocean is for us all. I want them to know the beauty of the world, the tastes of the bounty of nature, the sounds of singing, the joys of dancing, all are available to them. And you do NOT have to have a lot of money to get those things. They are there for the taking. For all of us.

You could spend a lot of money to get those things. But you don't need to. And my job is to teach my boys that they can have the best things in life. Not because they are rich, or entitled. But because truly, many of the best things in life, are free. Or at least affordable.

No comments: