Sunday, April 5, 2009

Pandora

I love Pandora. I love it!!!

I know, I know. I am probably the last person in the universe to really appreciate how cool it is. A young reporter wrote a Column One on Pandora about six years ago, when it was actually new. Even then I was fascinated. Even if I didn't know how to use it.

For the three people left in the universe who have NOT tried out Pandora, here is what it does. It is called the Musical Genome Project. And somewhere (Berkeley? Portland? A musical utopia in the woods?) a group of musicians analyze music down to the chords, the genres, the style, the lyrics. But mostly the music.

They take that information--the musical DNA--and figure out from what you do like, what you might like. And then they send it to you.

It is like having the best friend you find once in a lifetime who shares your exact musical tastes (impossible to define, unique to you alone!) and knows just a little bit more about music than you, so constantly sends you CDs, tapes and musical recommendations. And every time, EVERY time, you love it.

That is what Pandora is.

I played and played with it with Natalie--who loved music as much as I do. We would plug in strange combinations like Bruce Springsteen and Vicente Fernandez, and see what the computer would come up with. (that combination actually did stump the musical genome project).

But mostly you walk away in awe. And you see connections in music you never, ever saw. Bruce Springsteen is like U2 is like Billy Joel is like Elton John! (that is Jonathan's musical genome right there). Peter Paul and Mary is like Gordon LIghtfoot is like Nick Drake is like Cat Stevens. (that is me!)

No comments: