Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Lecture #1

What do I tell my students tomorrow? What do I want them to know?
Do I load them with information? Or start the fire that will turn into passion?

Do I intimidate them like a fearsome general?
Or do I introduce myself softly, like a nurturing mother figure?

What do I say?
What do I say?
What do I say?

I sit down now, to write out my lecture. My very first words to my new students, that will lay the groundwork for the next 10 weeks. That will usher them into the world of journalism and light them on fire with the contagion I feel for writing, for newspapers, for journalism, for the world!

LTWR 126

"Workshops in Creative Non-Fiction: Journalism."

3 comments:

Lani said...

Do you want to swing by for a drink after class one day? Stay for dinner? Would love to see you. Good luck tomorrow!

mitch said...

I have no doubt that your infectious enthusiasm will permeate the room and bring your students to a place where they want to learn from your experiences and insight-- i also loved your entry on their gift to you...

Ilaria said...

hi lani,

i would LOVE to come by for a drink after class one night. i am not going to do it after my very first class--but maybe after my second?

thank you.

i will shout your name as i drive by encinitas.

and thanks, mitch. as always