Monday, January 24, 2011

Make Beauty

Sometimes we are just a conduit for the brilliant words of others. Today, that is me.

I went to City Yoga today after school drop-off because I had to do yoga to stretch out from running, and I wanted to see if Sally Kempton, meditation guru, is really coming to teach a workshop there (She is, and I will do it.)

I am a 100% Y-yoga girl these days. The teachers rock and it is free. I love it.

Today I was in class with Anthony Benenati, founder of City Yoga. We sat in a gorgeous tree house of a room, that floats above Fairfax, all wood and brick and windows and light. It is a perfect room, on a perfect day in Los Angeles.

He told us to make beauty.

He told us not to sit around and bitch about dirt and garbage and shit in the world (my words, not his) but to do something. Make some beauty ourselves. Mostly, he said, that involved stripping down, and seeing clearly. And of course, a lot of hard work, and mess, and wasted energy, until it all kicks in, effortless and beautiful and self-sustaining.

OK, I am really summarizing here. I am sure the master would want to edit me, but you get the idea.

But it was a beautiful message, so beautiful I wanted to pass it on.

My beauty for today? I think I will hang two pictures and pick a flower. And try to write some beautiful things, and move forward on my newspaper, which I believe is a beautiful idea.

You, too.

Go make beauty.

You ARE beautiful.

3 comments:

jecca said...

Oooh, perhaps today I will just go to bed. Maybe tomorrow I will make my garden less messy, my fridge less scary. Not quite beauty, but less ugly. Hope you're feeling better.

Ilaria said...

bed is beautiful. you in bed is beautiful :-)

jecca said...

Perhaps I should blog about my bedroom decor. Beautiful it is not!