Thursday, January 20, 2011

Sick Day

I feel like a dog. My chest his heavy, my cough is bad, my head hurts and my ears ache. Oh, yeah, and I have a sore throat so bad I take aspirin so I can swallow. I have been in a holding pattern, hoping it will go away. It hasn't.

In an hour I go to the doctor.

I am so American. I want the doc to just say, "Take this pill and you will feel like a million bucks. In an hour."

I hiked a mountain with J to talk about our future. It was a hard talk, with lots of issues and no resolutions, for now. He was great. But mid-life in a recession is scary. Lots of opportunities. Lots of room for fear.

I am so strong due to my marathon training that I motored up the mountain like a billy goat, and my super perceptive husband couldn't even detect my illness. He still doubts. He is slightly incredulous. It is like a strange disconnect-of a sort we rarely have.

Couldn't he see I didn't want to jump in the water (I always do!) Couldn't he feel that I was waaay better at listening and a little blue? (Maybe I am always like that!) Didn't he notice that I did not lead him up the hardest path to the top, but only went that way after he suggested it (usually I do not even ask).

I burned dinner because I was so busy trying to self-diagnose. The house smells like charred broccoli.

I went for a massage on Tuesday and my sports-massage woman scared me. She said if I do not get better and take care of my illness I am stressing my body so much with marathon training that my cough, etc., could drag out for months. I had not thought of this as being related to/bearing upon my training. I don't want to drop out because of my undiagnosed illness.

She recommended an acupuncture tune-up. My husband diplomatically did not comment.

What to do, what do to?

Doctor first. Then decisions.

3 comments:

jecca said...

It's your Achilles heel. I bet though if you did nothing from now till March 20th you could still run the marathon. Let up and get better.

Ilaria said...

its strep. im medicating and resting. feels better just to know. xo

jecca said...

Any better now?