Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Marathon Advice

Week 8 and I am hanging in. Truth be told my twingy knee is doing better than before I started. Maybe my leg is getting stronger and I needed to be running. Maybe I am getting lighter and my body is happy. Maybe I am always sore so my knee doesn't stand out as much. Anyway, I am so delighted my body is holding up, and I have now run farther than I have since I was 33.

Here are tips that wise friends have given about how to keep going without getting injured:

Alison Shore-Lopez: Don't do too many miles. I did too many miles and I was completely addicted, and I did not need to run that much and I did not get to do the marathon. Postscript: Alison, an amazing runner, is still suffering from a pinched nerve or some such and trying to recover. She is tough, and my cautionary tale.

Goldie at the Y: Eat lots of protein. I did two marathons on carbs and one on protein, and my body broke down much more slowly on proteins. Always drink water. I was so dehydrated when I was training I started just drinking all the time, even when I was not thirsty. (This happened to me, and her advice made a huge difference). Run hills. Then when you hit a hill in the marathon you will not mentally collapse. (Don't need hill work for the LA marathon, but still great advice). Swim for an hour a week. It makes a huge difference.

Doug: Don't run too much. I ran the New York Marathon and people were limping across the finish line like it was a war. It was not good. My bad leg held up (he broke his leg as a college student) but my good leg, which had never given me trouble, freaked in the race. It was really really hard. This is not really advice, except to say, do not injure yourself.

Tired today, so I cut my run a little short, but I am hanging in!

Weather is beautiful and warm and clear, and the sunlight was sparkling on the reservoir, the path smelled like warm pine needles and the Sierras. I love being outside.

No comments: