Thursday, January 8, 2009

Airport

Benji loves to play airport. He wakes up in the morning and runs to get his helicopter. He places it beside him on the kitchen table while he eats breakfast, and flies it up the stairs when he goes to get dressed, dragging the injured person on a long string as it hits every stair. He talks about the "hello pad" and cries when Theo demands a turn with the helicopter. All day he asks me to play airport with him. Today his nanny came. He has anticipated this day for weeks. He has been playing airport for three hours, and the game continues. Debbie--the nanny -- is indefatiguable. She will play airport with him all day if he wants. Sometimes I feel bad. I am unable to play airport for more than 20 minutes. But then I think this is wonderful. How lucky I am to have a nanny who will play airport once a week for eight hours a day--while Benji runs up the stairs every half hour or so to brief me on the highlights.

No comments: