Thursday, January 29, 2009

My First Entry

It seems to be the new trendy thing: Keep a gratitude journal. List three things every day that you are grateful for. Simple pleasures. It is zen. It is cognitive therapy. It is the stuff of blogs and books.

The idea is that if you focus on what you are grateful for you will 1) feel better and 2) you will have better context in your life for when the really hard things come along. My gratitude journal will be a small, private one I carry in my purse, along with writing notes. But my first one, for my first day, will be here.

Today, January 29:

o I love being at the Y. I love my yoga class, I love the steam room, and I love running into friends for a few minutes while I am panting on some exercise machine. I love that I can walk there and walk home. I love that it is a real community, made up of homeless people and movie stars.

o I love the way Benji feels when he is hot from fever and his cheeks are flushed and he snuggles up against me and I know that I am the one thing in the world that can make him feel better. It is the sweetest of feelings.

o I love to write, to muse, to scribble, to read, to blog, and today, Thursday, I get to do it because I have help.

o I love the smell of jasmine when you walk through Whitley Heights on a sunny afternoon--like today.

No comments: