Wednesday, January 14, 2009

HAIR

I love hair. Not my own. But just hair. I love my husband's hair--brown with curls that pop up when he doesn't cut it, and glints of gold and red when he stands in the sunshine. I love Benji's hair. To me it looks like spun gold, or Rapunzel's hair. I can't believe hair can come out of a head that color. It mesmerizes me. And I love Theo's hair. Theo's hair is like a living sculpture. it doesn't grow down, it just grows higher and higher. He wakes up with a tower of curls on top of his head, that look like I put in giant woman-size pink rollers during the night. When he runs or rides a pony they bounce. He looks like a cartoon.
I realized at the LA Times that I loved the hair of all of my best friends. Was I picking friends because of hair? None of them had mousy brown hair like me. Many of them had cascades of curly hair--in blonde, red, or black. I love dark hair. I love Lisa Richardson's hair--which can look like Tracy Chapman or Michelle Obama.
I am thinking about hair today because this afternoon, in two hours, I go to cut my boys' hair. Benji's hair is so long he can barely see. And Theo's hair adds two inches to his height. My military father kept my brother's hair regulation short, so longer hair--it doesn't even have to be hippy length--thrills me. I say let the hair go wild. Let it do it's thing--the thing it was meant to do--glisten, or curl, or bounce, or make sculptures. But today my boys' hair will be shorn. They will look serious and grown up, and I will see just a little bit more clearly the men they will turn into.

2 comments:

Paige Orloff said...

I keep trying to get my boy to grow his hair long; he insists that every summer, he wants to buzz it all off. Sad, sad, sad--I LOVE his beautiful blond hair, want to touch it all the time, which makes him crazy. (Come to think of it, maybe that's why he insists on cutting it all off!) But I always tell him--his hair is his. He can't dye it blue or get a mohawk until he's sixteen (yes, he's suggested both, and yes, he's seven) but anything else is fair game.

Ilaria said...

dear paige,

is it our destiny as mothers that whatever we want for our children-and think of as freedom--they will stll want the opposite, as they try to strike out on their own and define their own paths? sometimes i wonder...and jordan does have amazing hair. i would just lie and say there were no haircutters that could do his hair except in nyc :-) far far away, and only possible on occasional trips