Thursday, January 22, 2009

...From Martha Graham (and Anna)

Since you're a quote collector, like me, here's one by Martha Graham that I keep over my desk and have had for maybe 18 years. I never tire of it:

"I am a dancer. I believe we learn by practice. Whether it means to learn to dance by practicing dancing or learn to live by practicing living, the principles are the same. In each it is the performance of a dedicated, precise set of acts physical or intellectual, from which comes shapes of achievement, a sense of one's being, a satisfaction of spirit. One becomes in some area an athlete of God. Practice means to perform, over and over again in the face of all obstacles, some act of vision, of faith, of desires. Practice is a means of inviting the perfection desired."

I love this.

No comments: