Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Cinderella, Boys' version

So my sister-in-law took Theo and Benji to a theatrical production of Cinderella at the Santa Monica Playhouse for Theo's birthday last Sunday. It was a sweet gift, and a sweet theater, the kind of place that is almost extinct, and is just hanging on by a thread, and is so incredibly lovely. The boys sat in the front row and loved it. We reviewed the story and acted it out before going--just so they would know what was going on. And when they got home they didn't talk much about it, except to say that Cinderella and the Prince were really old. But it didn't really bother them. It was just a fact.
But suddenly, last night at dinner, they wanted to re-enact a scene from the play. They chose the moment when the fairy godmother appears to Cinderella, and gives her all she needs to go to the ball. One of us played each role: Cinderella, Fairy-Godmother and lone audience member. I was Cinderella first. Theo walked up to me and said, "Hello Cinderella, do you want to go to the ball?" I said, "Yes." He said, "Do you have anything to wear?" I said no. Then he turned out the light and threw me an apron. I put it on and voila, I was dressed in a ball gown. Then I did him.
The best part was lights out, and the transformation.
So he was Cinderella, and I was the fairy godmother. I said, do you have anything to wear? He said no. And I turned out the light, voila, he had an apron. I said do you have a coach? He said no. I turned out the light and voila, he had a firetruck to take him. I said do you have someone to pull your carriage? He said no, and I turned out the light and voila, two teddy bears appeared to pull the carriage. I said do you have a glass slipper? I turned out the light and gave him my star spangled cowboy boots.
Benji watched it all, then leaped up and demanded to be the fairy godmother. Theo was Cinderella.
"Do you want to go to the ball?" he demanded. Yes. "Do you have anything to wear?" No. Then he climbed up on the stool, turned out the light, and balanced precariously in the dark. He ran off and handed Theo something. Then he turned on the light. Theo was wearing a pirate costume and carrying a ping-pong ball machine gun. He was transformed. He was ready for the ball. He was dashing and armed with up-to-date weaponry. That was the boy version of Cinderella.
They laughed so hard they fell on the floor and rolled around. Really! People really do that.

2 comments:

jecca said...

Lauren Child missed a trick with the Storybook Wolves... should have been a writing group with Theo and Benji!

SQUIDLY said...

So lovely!