Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Theo's Thoughts on the Inauguration

For me, yesterday was so important it is hard to put into words. I sat glued to the television at a friend's Inauguration breakfast, listening to Obama. I loved the poem, the music, Obama, and maybe most of all the panning shots of the crowds, stretching out as far as you could see. Americans just so grateful for inspiration, and for a leader who wants to lead, and wants us to be in on the change.
When I picked Theo up from school, he said they had gotten to watch the inauguration at school. How much? I don't know. One time he said a minute, later he said an hour. A friend asked what he thought of what he had seen.
"I could see Obama's breath," he said.
Not the words. Not the black man about to run this country. Not the crowds that stretched forever, or any of the rest of us. What was amazing to my California son was that it was so cold you could see Obama's breath on television. Oh, well.

No comments: