Friday, January 9, 2009

My Stagnating Brain

Before I had kids mothers always complained that kids made your brain rot. I had friends that complained their brains went soft after two months of maternity leave. They didn't attribute their diminished brain capacity to lack of sleep, or the fact that they had turned into milk machines. They attributed it to being out of the workforce. I always disagreed. I felt like my brain was more alive, and freer. I felt like I had more time to think, and I felt more motivated and focused. But nearly six years in I fear my brain has taken a back seat. Once I read the newspaper daily--I mean really read it--and magazines, too. I was well-informed and new the obvious stories, but also the important less obvious ones. I read a lot. And I read books that were challenging, intellectually rigorous--along with my trashy, fun novels, of course! The other morning I did a test. I decided to see how much of an article on Gaza I could get through before a child interrupted me. I could not complete a newspaper paragraph (which, as you are aware, is often ONE sentence) before someone yelled for me. Before completing a 35 inch article I was interrupted 15 times, to look at trains, rebuild helicopters, find shoes, or give a kiss. I am happy I can do all this. But I think my brain muscle, my ability to concentrate and grasp anything but the fluffiest stories, has atrophied and evaporated.
I am trying to read some Borges right now--as a little brain workout. Last night I fell asleep before I finished the second page. It took me three nights to get through the introduction. And I was interested!!!
It is time for me to get my brain back in shape. I need to be nimble and precise in my words and mastery of facts. It is time to read more sophisticated work, and think more complex thoughts. The era of the George Bush sound bites is over. The era of complexity, depth, and reflection is in. I owe this to my boys, my community, and my world.

No comments: