Thursday, January 15, 2009

...And #2

Will I have the guts to do it?
My aunt and my cousin are doing a swim from Alcatraz on September 12, 2009. Only 500 people can do it, so it closes out fast. If I want to do it, I need to sign up around now. I love to swim, and am more comfortable in the water than perhaps anywhere else, but I admit, I am scared.
The waters of the San Francisco Bay are shark-infested, cold and full of unpredictable currents. You ARE allowed to wear a wet suit, and I know I can swim that distance in a pool no problem (1.5 miles). But oceans can be scarier. And knowing that the island prison was built so no one could survive the swim only makes the event more exciting--and haunting.
I jumped online to read some accounts this morning.
The participants confirmed everything you would imagine. It is unbelievably cold. The thought of sharks is terrifying. The prison looming behind you is spooky. And completing it is an unbelievable experience!!!!
Participants have to leap off a dock three a time, then go. They are advised to stop in the middle of the bay and look up at the Golden Gate Bridge and take in the view (I love this detail)
I know it would make me happy. And I would be so thrilled to do this event with my super amazing aunt, co-creator of the Ironman Triathlon, and my cousin Courtney. Can I do it?

3 comments:

SQUIDLY said...

YES, you can.

500 people a year do it. How many have been eaten by sharks? I used to know a family that did it every year. They were never been eaten by sharks.

Yes, you can. And, you rock for even considering it.

Ilaria said...

ok, i am so moved by your support that i signed up. im quite nervous. the waiver you have sign before paying is even more scary--it tells you all the ways people have died...drownings, hypothermia, attacks by animals, but thank you for your support.

me

jecca said...

Hooray... I was amazed you even hesitated... I'm glad you're going to do it. I wish we could cheerlead... will you do it again in 20 years? I think by then Oriana will be ready to join you...