Monday, January 12, 2009

Rejection

I got my second rejection from an agent today. I am writing this here not for pity, but to record for myself, and for anyone else who undertakes some project with both fear, faith and passion, that this is what it was like. It hurt. The agent's rejection only made it worse because i LIKED her rejection. Her insights were sharp, and true, and I will use them. But I wanted that person's eye and intelligence on my work. But as my friend Meg said over a beer on Saturday night, I'm turning this around, Hilary. Let's see how many rejection letters we can collect by the end of the year. That is just part of the process.

3 comments:

jecca said...

Hey, at least she read it... if the helpful comments went beyond page 2 that's a good start. Sorry to hear it though. Third time lucky.

Paige Orloff said...

ditto on the sorry, but you will find the right person--you definitely don't want the wrong one. and if you got anything useful from the rejection, that's golden. use it as you think best.

Ilaria said...

thank you both for your support. i am really really trying to be more open about what i am trying to do, to not hide my efforts until i hit success...and your words give me strength!