Thursday, January 8, 2009

Landscapes

Do we all spend our lives looking for a certain landscape?
I am going through Natalie's box and there is photo after photo of her Japanese town. There are creeks, rivers, redwoody type trees, and quaint landscapes covered with snow. As I sat with her on her porch on her final days at creekside I realized her home was as close to Japan as you could get in the US. There was Mt. Tam, and it twinkled with lights at night like a Japanese village. The houseboats looked like old Japanese houses. The marsh was filled with cranes and herons. And the boardwalk looked like a floating world.
Me?
I think I am always looking for Naples. I love the light of the Mediterranean, and the smells of that place. I love bouganvilla and mediterranean herbs and oceans and sea food. L.A. is about as close to Naples as you can get. It was a happy time in my life. When I go back to Connecticut now I am struck by how beautiful it is. Almost awed. I like it. But I like it like a tourist. A foreigner. It does not speak to my soul. I find the light cold and hard, and somehow depressing. It doesn't affect me fora weekend or a week, but after that that coldness starts to seep into me and bring me down.
I also love Northern Pacific beaches and forests. I think this is my genetic makeup. I am made for mist and fog and mountains and cold seas.
What is the landscape of your soul?

No comments: